choosing doubt as a philosophy is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation
--yann martel

Saturday, January 9, 2010

me the hypocrite

In objection to all my personal values, I have created a blog to which I will be making weekly posts. To all whom I have ridiculed for their extensive blogging, I extend my sincere apologies. Let me also add that my foot tastes just as badly as I imagined.
Seeing that another year has come and gone, it seems all too fitting to post a "highlights of 2009" entry. I realize that this is cliche on every possible level, but my well of creativity is bone dry and my homework deadline is looming. Monumental events from last year include the following. (Events are presented in no particular order.)
  1. Receiving a scholarship. Before starting my first semester of school, I set a goal to earn an academic scholarship. After only two semesters, I accomplished this goal. This scholarship has eased the financial burden of getting an education and has allowed me to save for the future.
  2. Changing my major. Despite my previous hopes and dreams of an Ivy League law degree, my plans (as usual) have changed. Law, while a very respectable field, just didn't seem to fit my future. So I have decided to let loose the true nerd inside of me and pursue a degree in Accounting. This new direction feels much more comfortable and correct for me. Because of my 180 degree change in direction, I will be frequenting BYU campus for a couple years longer than originally planned.
  3. Visiting the old haunts. While talking to my last mission companion on the phone, we would reminisce about the good old days in the field and wish that we could just go back. Finally, instead of just talking about it, we got the novel idea of actually doing it--buying a plane ticket and going back! So that's exactly what we did. Let me just tell you that it was worth every penny. I love the people of the Czech Republic with all my heart. It was so spiritually rejuvenating to be back among them and see that my service--my blood, sweat, and tears--was not given in vain.
  4. Getting old. There have not been many times in my life when I have felt old. In fact, before this past fall season, I cannot recall a single instance. It was last December when I realized that the missionaries from the first group I taught in the MTC have already returned home. This means that I have been "Brother" Johnson almost as long as I was "Starsi" Johnson. Oh, how time flies!
I'm sure you would expect more monumental experiences from an entire year of life, but the truth is that my life is rather plain. You probably already noticed that I was stretching to make just these 4 points. I have let my life become stale and boring. I hope that by this time next year, I'll have a rich supply of exciting events to share.

c. johnson

3 comments:

  1. awesome!!!!welcome to the world of blogging. speaking of which, i do hope you have checked mine out lately. LOVE YOU!!!! MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happy that you have ventured into the world of the Blog. I love it just for the sake of journaling. I have never been that great at keeping a personal journal and figure the blog may be the best it ever gets. You will like it for nothing else that very reason.
    Love ya~
    P.S. I like number three on the list best! I am so happy for you and jen.
    Love, Mandy (i'm on mom's computer)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, you do not lead a stale life. You are doing just what you need to be doing right now. And you have found yourself and amazing girl to share that with. Oh, you forgot to mention your monumental trip back to the mission. One more thought. I to was a hypocite when it came to blogging. "Don't people have better things to do with there time?" Like Mandy said I have found it to be my journal. My record of all the fun things we get to do as a family. And since I have yet to make myself get my scrapbooks done. It is my kids life on the computer. You will love it!!
    Cortnie

    ReplyDelete