choosing doubt as a philosophy is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation
--yann martel

Sunday, February 28, 2010

to what end?

Sometimes I wonder why I allow words to affect me in such a significant way. Idiomatic wisdom would teach that sticks and stones may break bones, but words will never hurt. Although this may be the case for some, it is certainly not for me.

For me, being one who has internally struggled with self-confidence, the words of others usually find their way straight to my core. Words can be more sharp and biting than any wielded weapon. Wounds of the flesh will mend themselves, but wounds of the soul cannot be simply covered with a band-aid and expected to heal.

Words frequently come tumbling out with no thought to their potential consequences. Will these words shape and inspire, or will they degrade and demolish? Whether uttered before one's face behind one's back, words carry the same clout.

On the other hand, the right words at the right time are often the means of inspiration to get up and get moving. Words can be stirring, gratifying, supportive, and constructive. A compliment here and a kind word there require little more than a small moment of consideration.

Words can say volumes about one's character. Tactless words, spoken with no regard, cause unnecessary and lingering pain. Considerate words, spoken from the heart, weave a web of comfort and confidence in which one can feel safe and secure about self and the future.

Ponder the power of your words. To what end are they spoken?

c. johnson

3 comments:

  1. i hate that i love this. irrevocably true sir. props.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wish I could take back so many words.... but grateful for all of your good ones. You are awesome.... LOVE and Kisses....

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true!! Many times in my life I have had words said to me that have stung.(ie. those jr high, high school years.) Yet all these years later they still leave their mark. Thank goodness for lessons learned, growing-up a little and moving on and away from those people!! You are amasing, I am always impressed by your the way you put your thoughts to paper.(or blog as they case may be.) Love you tons. I am so grateful for you and all the other people in my life that help to build me up...not tear me down!!
    Your proud sis, Cort

    ReplyDelete