choosing doubt as a philosophy is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation
--yann martel

Thursday, September 1, 2011

like the sands of the hourglass

The rigors of life have tied my hands from spending time posting to the ol' blog. I am flabbergasted that I haven't recorded any of my thoughts since August of last year. As banal as this may sound, time flies.

I can just hear you asking me, "So, what's new? We can't wait to know!" (I'm sure you're all just dying of curiosity.) Well, I got married--took the plunge, sealed the deal, strapped on the ol' ball and chain. How's it been? It's been an adventure, full of highs and lows. I've never felt stretched so thin, but I've also never felt so supported. My lovely lady is always there to help me keep plugging along. Not only that, but often times she pulls me.

I've learned more about what love means in the past 10 months than in the 24 previous years of my life. And not necessarily because good at giving it; rather, I didn't used to understand love. I didn't know that love wasn't just the gooey stuff that makes me blush. I'd spent the first two decades of my life believing that was love. But I'm slowly (oh, so painfully slowly) learning what love really means. Love is less about twitterpation, and more about listening. It's less about being physical, and more about being understanding. It's less about being romantic, and more about being forgiving. It's less about the capability, and more about the willingness.

It's less about me, and more about her.

Life's turning out to be quite nice. Sure, life's got its issues--disappointments, stressors, failures, frustrations. But with some consistency and a touch of patience, I've been able to strip off pieces of life's facade and exposes life's true self: beauty, fulfillment, and belonging. Exposing it is worth the effort.

c. johnson

the peas at glacier park in mt

2 comments:

  1. You are so talented with words! I am jealous. I LOVE your description of...love. It is a complex part of life. I am so glad you found love with your lady! She is amazing! You are lucky to have her as your companion! Oh, and she is equally blessed she has you too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, look who is still in the blogging world. Love you both Clay and Kamiee. Glad you found each other and have someone to share this journey with. Cort

    ReplyDelete